Sunday, May 20, 2012

Year Round Mantle

Mr. Penguin Bunny and I have now been in this house for over a year and I have had some AMAZING holiday mantels. The other months of the year however, not so much. We have tried several decorative mirrors, candles, and at times a combination of both. I found a printable on pinterest the other day with the quote, "Every love story is beautiful but ours is my favorite." I had a really nice frame I had found in the clearance section at hobby lobby and a canvas that fit in it perfectly. So began my new year round mantle painting.

Supply List:

Stencil Set 2" letters
18 x 24 Canvas
Acrylic Paint (I chose white, yellow ochre, and cerulean blue)
Stencil dauber

I began by laying a base of a yellow ochre and white. 


I then added blue on top in vertical strokes and made sure that the paint was darker in different areas to add an illusion of texture. If you don't normally work in acrylic paint on canvas the best way to do this is to add paint directly to the canvas and spread with a watered down brush. Once the blue base dries I planned where to place the words. I placed the individual letters on top and lightly traced them with a white charcoal pencil. Once I knew they were spaced correctly I lightly dabbed a mixture of the white and yellow ochre over the stencil. Making sure the blue still showed slightly through to give it that "vintage" look. 



Once all the letters were painted I decided to add G & B at the end, our initials. Here is the finished product. The fiance loves it, I love it, and it looks great in our living room!




No comments:

Post a Comment